Wednesday 9 January 2013

My Work Experience

While studying my Bachelor of Commerce majoring in Sports Management, I was always encouraged to seek volunteer and work experience opportunities by my lecturers, as jobs were rarely advertised. During my degree I volunteered for many one-off events and a local community football club, but I hadn’t yet found something I was passionate about.

 I contacted Curtin Stadium and started my work experience in March 2012 while studying the last semester of my degree. The main area I was involved in was Inter-University Sport, including Tertiary Sports WA events. I also was fortunate enough to attend the Australian University Games Conference in Sydney where I was able to meet sporting representatives from all over the country, which was a fantastic networking opportunity. 

When I finished my degree in June 2012 I was offered a job as a Sports Assistant which includes organising Inter-University Sport and Inter-Faculty sport and a wide range of sporting programs. Not only did my work experience give me the opportunity to meet a wide range of individuals in the sporting industry and confidence going into my career but also the experience that employers look for when recruiting.

After completing my Bachelor in Sports Management and Marketing at the end of 2011 I found it difficult when applying and searching for jobs as most employers want prospective employees to already have experience in the industry. To improve my work prospects I decided to study at Masters level, in addition to this I started doing work experience at Curtin Stadium 3 hours a week in April 2012 assisting with Evening Social Sports. 

The work experience allowed me to get this exposure to real world employment within the sporting industry and built on what I learnt at University. I am now employed by Curtin Stadium full-time organising and assisting with a variety of sporting competitions and working in the field I studied in

No comments:

Post a Comment