Monday 21 January 2013

Chong Wei is on cloud nine


LEE Chong Wei fulfilled his destiny of becoming the greatest ever men's singles player in the Maybank Malaysia Open after convincingly winning his ninth title at Putra Stadium yesterday.
After annihilating long-time rival Sony Dwi Kuncoro of Indonesia 21-7, 21-8 in just 32 minutes, the World No 1 was already hinting of his intention to win a 10th title next year.
He has surpassed the legendary Wong Peng Soon's haul of eight titles when the tournament was known as the Malaya Open.
Chong Wei began his conquest in 2004 and the sequence was only broken in 2007 where he lost to Bao Chunlai of China in the Malaysia Open which was eventually won by Peter Gade Christensen of Denmark.
In yesterday's final, Chong Wei was in devastating mood. Playing at such a fast pace from the beginning of the first game, he gave Sony no chance of resistance.
The Indonesian, after a gruelling three-game victory over Kenichi Tago of Japan in the semi-finals, looked a spent force and surrendered fast in the second game.
Despite the easy manner in which Chong Wei won the crown, he said he had put himself under much pressure to achieve the record-breaking feat.
"I really want to thank the fans who came to support me. I really wanted to win the title, and not many knew that I was putting much pressure on me to win the ninth title.
"It showed during the semi-finals (against Jan Jorgensen of Denmark) where I was rushing to finish the match and it went to three games. Others probably didn't feel it with the way I played.
"It is one of my targets to win the Malaysia Open for the 10th time next year but winning it will not be easy.
"It is also good that my rival, Lin Dan, will return for the All England where it will provide me with a bigger challenge."
Chong Wei won US$30,000 (RM90,000) for his Malaysia Open triumph and US$75,000 for the Korea Open success last week.
More good news in store for Malaysia's badminton king. His wife, Wong Mew Choo, will give birth to their first child after the Sudirman Cup in May.
"I will be a father soon and it will be a big responsibility to balance my career and fatherhood.
"My wife (Mew Choo) is also a badminton player and will understand my lifestyle as an international player. I will continue with my career despite my family commitments," added Chong Wei.
Sony said he lost to a more superior player but vowed to return stronger for the All England in March.
In the women's singles, 19-year-old Tai Tzu Ying of Taiwan secured her second super series title after beating Yao Xue of China 21-17, 21-14 and earned the biggest prize money in her career (US$30,000).
Tzu Ying showed her potential last year by winning the Taiwan Open and the Japan Open super series.

No comments:

Post a Comment